May 20, 2009

Ben








May 18, 2009, Our dog Ben passed away... Or should I say passed ON.

It really took a long time for it to sink in. We knew his time was coming. A little after his 13th Birthday we found out he had Cancer and from then on his condition went downhill so quickly.
I've never experienced someone close or even a pet passing on... The whole thing was almost unreal. It was hard to predict how I would feel when it was all over. 

Now that it is over, I am glad to say my heart is at peace. Still, I just keep having to remind myself over and over again that he isn't here anymore... His spirit lives on and he's more alive than ever! Just not here anymore.

We were talking and laughing about what he's probably doing in heaven right now. We made lots of jokes about the smelly things he could be up to, but mostly I imagine him running and playing and making people happy wherever he goes. 

People can laugh at me, and I understand it's difficult to relate to someone getting so emotional about "A DOG". Well, I don't mind. I think it's pretty funny too! But I guess the Lord knows the hearts of each of His children and gives them just what He knows will speak to them the clearest and mean the most to them.

Ever since I can remember, every year when I blowing out the candles on my Birthday cake, I had prayed for a Golden Retriever. Not Barbies, not boys, not nail polish... and not just any old dog, but a Golden Retriver! And guess what? That's just what He gave me. And not just any old Golden... It was Ben. I think I dreamed him into life. 

And that's just the thing. Others will see a thousand things imperfect about Ben, but I will see exactly what God gave me, and that is an angel. Even his faults made him adorable and lovable to us. 

He was so beauftiful up until the very last breath. If I was going through something, but couldn't yet bring myself to talk with someone about it, I would talk to the Lord about it, whilst sitting next to Ben. He became Jesus' ears, shoulder, and mouth to me. His ears, listening to my inner-most thoughts and heartcries, His (furry) shoulder for me to cry on, and His mouth, unfailingly kissing my (salty) tears away.  

Ben, you made me smile and laugh when no one else could. With no words you taught me things which will be a part of me forever. Thank you for the joy you brought to us. Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall... We walked, ran, and played together. I love you!! I'll see you when I get there, and there we'll walk, run, and play together again. (We may even fly together ! A flying sanpo!) 

Dear Jesus, most of all thank You for the dream you made come true for me. And thank you for taking Ben back into Your arms ... Those same arms with which You so lovingly gave him to us all those years ago. 

3 comments:

Abner said...

Cherish, I’m really sorry to hear about that. I can see that you really loved him and that you were close. Don’t worry if people think it’s odd to be so impacted, it’s just because they didn’t experience the love you shared with him and if they did they probably would understand.
You know, I think you’re right, and that he is running and playing and making people happy wherever he goes. And you know what else I think? I think that, because of all the love that you and the others around you showed him, he has a special gift of knowing how to show love to others, and that the Lord is really using him and that gift to be a help to others.
But even though he’s gone, I know that he’s still there with you too, still beside you, still available to help you connect with the Lord, and still loving you.
I’ll pray that you don’t miss him too much, and feel him near. God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Awww Benny was the sweetest dog around. He shall be missed.

chara said...

Thanks so much Abner. (and Dave!) It's true I do feel him around sometimes still, so he could be coming around sometimes as a sweet Benny angel. Who knows! Love u and will reply to ur email soon.